Saturday, July 19, 2008

July 19th - Recovery Day 1

The incision was covered with steri-strips. A small plaster covered that and then there were 2 coverings of bandage underneath the outer ACE bandage. 

 

 Luckily there was minimal bleeding so everything was quite clean when I took it off for the first time. I just put back on the plaster and ACE bandage after cleaning the wound. 

 

I didn't sleep well last night - it was more out of the uncomfort of having my leg raised up in the air than actual pain. In fact I've had very little pain except when doing my exercises. I was given the following exercises to perform 3-5 times daily: 

 

  

 

 

 

 

1. Ankle Pumps:  With your legs straight, bend your feet toward your face and then point your feet away from your face. Repeat 10 times.

 

This one was relatively straight forward and painless

 2. Quad Sets: Lie on your back with your legs straight. Tighten the top of your thighs by pressing the back of your knees into the bed. Hold the contraction for a count of 5. Relax and repeat 10 times

This was a little tougher. With the swelling and the fact that I can't get to 0 degrees of my own accord it seemed like my leg wasn't moving on this exercise. 

3. Straight Leg Raise: Lie flat on your back with your operated knee straight. Bend your opposite leg so that your foot is flat on the bed. Keep your leg straight while raising it 6 to 18 inches in the air. Lower gently and repeat 10 times.

This was the toughest exercise today. 

4. Tighten Glute muscles: Lie on your back with your legs straight.  Tighten your glute muscles and lift your hips off the floor slightly. Hold the contraction for a count of 5. Relax and repeat 10 times.

And this the easiest. 

Range of motion in CPM: 0 - 48. Pain level: 3/10

Range of motion on own: 10 - 40. Pain level 7/10

No comments: