My appointment was changed from 12pm to 9am so I had to get up a few hours earlier this morning. After getting home at 3am after going to the midnight showing of Batman I wasn't in the liveliest of moods. But my spirits were good. I wasn't allowed eat for 18 hours before surgery either so I was starving all morning. I got in to the New England Baptist Hospital at about 7.45 and was immediately brought upstairs to me temporary room. Nurse after nurse came in along with Dr. Richmond and the head anesthesiologist. One of the nurses set up an intravenous on my right wrist and another shaved my knee to be operated on. Dr. Richmond came in and signed my knee for surgery.
I was informed by everyone of the procedure and I was brought to the OR around 9am. The (cute) anesthesiologist there gave me a shot to relax (although I didn't really need anything) and I when I got into the OR I was moved from my bed to a narrow operating table. I was quickly given a mask with pure oxygen and a shot to put me under. Next thing I knew I was waking up and moving back from the operating table to my bed with a bandage and brace on my leg - I felt relieved I had indicated the right leg to operate on ;-)
They took keep me up near the OR for a couple of hours where I was struggling to stay awake and around 1pm they brought me back to my room. I watched TV and rested for a while and all the nurses came in to care for me with some drinks and biscuits. I was allowed leave at 4pm. My mother and brother arrived later that night and I got a few hours in the CPM machine. I felt very little pain - I had been given a local anesthetic so I had been told that the pain wouldn't kick in until the middle of the night or the next day. They told me to stay on top of my meds to prevent pain as much as possible - shouldn't be too hard.
Range of motion in CPM: 0 - 40
Pain level: 3/10
Range of motion on own: N/A
Pain level: N/A
No comments:
Post a Comment